If you are an individual involved in traffic offences like drinking and driving in UK, it is best to seek a drink driving solicitor and ask for complete legal advice. Our drink driving solicitors in London are at your disposal and have a vast experience in traffic and driving offences, a fieldwhere the consequences are severe and extensive. We can represent you in the court of law in front of the authorities.
Types of traffic offences in UK
Persons accused of drink driving, speeding offences, careless driving, drug driving, traffic light offences, driving without a license or permit and police seizure of property should know that these are serious traffic offences for which imprisonment is issued. Defending drink driving cases in UK is part of the services of our experienced team of driving offence solicitors in London who can properly represent you in the court of law if you have been accused of such serious crimes in UK. As it is known, the consequences of drink driving are serious and known by anyone, however, if you have been caught driving under the influence of alcohol, do not hesitate to get in touch with a drink driving solicitor in London.
|The prescribed alcohol limit in the UK||35 micrograms per 100 millilitres of breath 80 milligrammes per 100 millilitres of blood 107 milligrammes per 100 millilitres of urine
|3 to 11|
|£2,500 or unlimited in some cases|
|Imprisonment||3 or 6 months and 14 months for causing death by careless driving when under the influence of drink.
|The period the offence stays on the driving record||11 years from the date of the conviction|
1 to 2 years and 3 years if the individual is convicted twice in 10 years
|Aggravating factors for drink driving||
Previous convictions related to drink driving, carrying passengers, unnaceptable driving, involvement in an accident.
|Mitigating factors in case of drink driving||No previous or relevant convictions, genuine emergency, remorse/good character on behalf of the driver, the driven distance was very short, the drink was spiked.|
|Do you supply a Registered Address/Virtual Office?||Yes|
|Other problems||Car insurance costs increase, travel restrictions/driving restrictions in other countries, employers are able to see the conviction on the license (for drivers).|
|Posibility to reduce the driving ban||Drunk-drive rehabilitation schemes (DDRS) are available in some cases and can reduce the ban by a quarter (in most cases).|
What happens if I’m accused of drink driving?
Individuals caught by the police in traffic while driving under the influence of alcohol should expect a serious ban of a minimum of 12 months without the driving license or a maximum of 3 years if the case is severe and the person was involved in a serious accident. Community orders and fines are issued for offenders who have been caught drink driving in UK, and more than that, if victims are involved, these offenders can face imprisonment. As it is known, a drink driving conviction is not only serious, but it is also life-changing for both victim and offender. Do not hesitate to get in touch with our drink driving solicitor in London and find out the ways in which our lawyer can provide complete legal assistance in the court of law in front of the authorities. We can also help you apply for bail if you are found in police custody and if the circumstances of the case allow the lawyers to build up a solid case.
Defending persons accused of drink driving in UK
Our drink driving solicitors in London are qualified lawyers who can properly defend persons accused of drink and driving or other serious offences which are strictly forbidden in the UK. It is good to know that driving with excess alcohol is the most common offence which is also related to being unfit to drive after consumption of alcohol and drugs. It is good to know that our drink driving solicitors in London can represent the offenders who failed to provide a specimen of breath for analysis at the time the police officer requires. The police procedure and the entire case of drink driving are complex, and it is important to have the legal support of a drink driving solicitor who has a wide experience in such matters.
Choosing our drunk driving solicitors in London
Our solicitors experienced in drink driving cases in London deal and study only such cases and are dedicated to the necessary defence they can provide to persons accused of such traffic offences in UK. It is extremely important to direct your attention to our drink driving solicitor and find out information about our experience and about the legal ways in which we can help. Following the best practices for each client and providing the needed assistance in the court of law are of high importance. Here are the ways in which our drink driving solicitors in London can help:
- a dedicated solicitor will take your case and analyze the evidence and the circumstances if you have been accused of drink driving in London;
- the Law Society and the Solicitors Regulation Authority are supervising the practices of driving offence solicitors in London who can take care of your case;
- complete legal assistance is provided at the time you are kept in police custody;
- we can also provide legal representation in the court of law.
Getting out of bail for drink and driving offences
The lack of evidence in cases of drink and driving accusations while being kept into police custody can change the situation. This means that the offender can be released on bail, with the supporting legal assistance offered by a drink driving solicitor. One of our advisors in charge of your case and accusations will have to closely work with the prosecution, gather evidence and sustain you in front of the authorities. Being released on bail does not mean that the accusations are dropped, but the authorities continue to verify your case and the circumstances. It is important to know that medical evidence will play a major role in a drink and driving accusation.
We invite you to watch a video about the services offered by our drink driving solicitors in London:
What happens if murder is involved?
Drink and driving cases can get complicated if murder is involved and in these cases it is highly advisable to seek the assistance offered by a drink driving solicitor in London. The first thing you need to know is that the police can arrest you at the scene of the accident and sent you in custody for at least 24 hours. This is where you can receive immediate legal advice from one of our drink driving lawyers in London with experience in this field. Just like in any other drink driving case (no murder involved), the evidence must be gathered by the prosecution, at the crime scene and in any other place related to the offender involved. Such verifications might take a while, a time when the offender can be kept into police custody. We remind that offenders have the right to medical care during custody and must not answer to any question at the police station until a drink driving solicitor is present. Drink driving involving crimes are severe offences that have extreme consequences for families and the public, not to mention the fact that years of imprisonment can be issued if found guilty in the court of law.
Witnesses at a drink driving accident
The testimony of a witness involved in a drink driving accident is very important for the course of the case. He or she can relate all the facts and details being witnessed at the crime scene. This is also an important part of gathering evidence and information about a drink and driving case, mentioning that things can change if the death of an innocent person is involved. Witnesses have the right to not divulge their identity if they do not want that, and they are protected by the applicable legislation in this matter. Even witnesses in a drink and driving case need the legal support of a driving solicitor who can advise them and explain their rights and responsibilities. The cases of witnesses who do not want to be seen in the court of law or in public space might be complex for the overall investigation of a drink driving case, so the legal assistance of a drink driving solicitorwill prove extremely helpful. Let one of our motoring solicitors tell you more about your rights as a witness in serious offences related to driving offences.
The consequences of driving offences
It is a known fact that driving offences led to grave consequences that in some cases cannot be handled. The serious drink and driving cases are the ones involving casualties or severe accidents where family members are the most who suffer. All cases end up in the court of law where families ask for justice and also for money for the damages suffered. Such trials can prolong for a couple of years until all the verifications are made and all the evidence is gathered. The legal assistance of a drink driving solicitor in London will prove extremely helpful in drink driving offences, whether with victims or not because such an advisor will know how to deal with the case in front of the authorities. Pleading not guilty in a drink driving offence means a lot of work for criminal lawyers, authorities, and agencies, so the case can prolong for more than just a couple of days or months. We remind that evidence in a driving offence will play an extreme role in the court of law.
Understanding the applicable drink-driving penalties is important if you are ever involved in such a case. These vary according to the severity of the case and they can come in the form of a fine or even imprisonment for a limited time as well as a possible driving ban. If the case goes to court, the magistrates who hear the case decide the penalty. In this case, the aid provided by our drink drive solicitor is important.
We describe the possible consequences of driving offences below, according to the type of offence:
- Being in charge of a vehicle while above the legal limit: you could get a maximum fine of 2,500 £, a possible driving ban or 3 months’ imprisonment;
- Driving or attempting to drive while above the legal limit: in this case, the fine is unlimited and the imprisonment lasts 6 months; moreover, the driving ban lasts at least 1 year or 3 years if the individual is convicted of this same offence twice within 10 years; our drink driving solicitor in London will give you more details about what is considered an attempt to drive;
- Refusal to provide a specimen for analysis: this refers to all three types (breath, blood or urine) and the offender may get an unlimited fine, a driving ban of at least one year or 6 months’ imprisonment;
- Causing death while under the influence of drink: 14 years’ imprisonment, an unlimited fine and a driving ban of at least 2 years (subject to an extended driving test before receiving the licence back).
In most cases, offenders are able to reduce the driving bank of they agree to take a drink-drive rehabilitation course (this can be offered when banned from driving for 1 year or more and the court is the one to decide of this offer should be made available to the offender).
Driving while unfit through drink can bring about very unpleasant consequences. Even in cases that are not severe, the offender can face a number of problems, among which we remind you that the car insurance costs will increase as a result of this. Your work could also be affected if you work as a driver because the employer will be able to see that you have been convicted.
High-risk offenders will not get their license back immediately and they will need to pass a medical examination with an appointed doctor. Our drink driving solicitor in London explains this: a high-risk offender is an individual who was convicted of 2 drink driving offences within 10 years or who:
- was driving with an alcohol level of at least 87.5 microgrammes per 100 ml of breath;
- refused to provide a sample of breath, urine or blood for the alcohol test;
- refused to allow a sample that was taken at a certain point (while unconscious, for example) to be used by the police.
Reapplying for a license can take time and our driving solicitors can assist you, however, a prolonged driving ban can cause other issues, especially if you rely heavily on your car to commute or for other essential drives (for medical purposes, for example).
The applicable drink-driving laws have been updated and strengthened over the years. Today, individuals are given a preliminary breath test at the scene of the accident (roadside) and then they are taken to the police station for an evidential breath test (or the other types of tests, as needed).
You can reach out to us for more details about the consequences of driving offences and how we can help you reduce the penalty or the driving ban.
Drink-driving and other offences in the UK
The Government keeps informative data about the reported drink-drive accidents and their consequences. The numbers presented below by our driving offence solicitors in London were summarized following a report produced by the Department of Transport.
- between 230 and 270 people were killed in UK accidents in 2017 when at least one driver was over the drink-drive limit; this estimate of fatalities for 2017 is similar to that recorded in 2010, however, the rise in the number of fatalities from 230 in 2016 is not statistically significant.
- the same report estimated that 8.600 people were killed or injured when at least one driver was over the imposed drink-drive limit; this is a 5% reduction from the 9,040 cases recorded in 2016.
- in 2017 there was a reduction in the total number of accidents involving at least one driver who was over the alcohol limit, it fell by 6% to 5,700.
- the charts show that in 2017 male drivers or riders who were over the limit accounted for 79% of the cases; moreover, men make up most of the casualties, at 66% in drink-drive accidents, compared to women at 34%.
- car occupants account for 84% of the casualties in drink-drive accidents in the UK compared to a lower percentage (59%) in all other reported road accidents; this is why our driving offence solicitors outline the importance of safety in order to protect your loved ones or friends.
Below we have gathered facts and data about crimes and frauds in UK, as presented by the Office for National Statistics:
- The number of homicides in UK decreased by 5%in the past 4 years;
- Robberies and burglaries for the past year increased by 11% and 4% respectively;
- Around 442,000 computer-related offences have been registered during June 2018 and June 2019;
- 14% of the total domestic offences registered in UK last year were domestic abuse-related.
Our motoring offence solicitors in London have expertise in a wide range of areas and can provide suitable legal assistance and representation, including for drink and driving cases.
Appealing a verdict in the court of law
Drink driving cases are extremely severe and complex, however, if you choose our driving solicitors, you should know that our team will act in your best interest. In the case you do not agree with the ban order issued in the court of law, you have the right to appeal the verdict with complete legal support provided by our advisors. Also, we can help you appeal the level of fine and the length of the driving ban by preparing a representative defence for your case in the court of law.
We remind that you can call our drink driving solicitor at any time and ask for complete legal assistance at the police station and in the court of law if you have been accused of traffic offencesand especially of driving under the influence of alcohol.